- Thomas Crosbie Media AP Timeline headed, "War on Terrorism"
- A pdf page (New York) published by the "Associated Press, 2001"
- The Ottawa Citizen, article, 'Timeline of Chaos' Published: Sept. 11, 2001
- Broadcast & Cable Magazine Timeline 8/26/2002 (BC&C)
- Transcript NBC Sept. 11, 2001 9:12am -9:54am-10:36am
- Transcript CBS Channel 9 Sept. 11, 2001 segment 9:54am-10:36am
- Associated Press "Chronology of some key events in U.S. relations with Islamic groups," article , August 21, (AP2002)
- At 2:41pm, in the "War on Terrorism" Timeline above -World Trade Disaster: Chronology of terror WTD
- ACCAA Arlington County After-Action Report
- 8am AP2002 American Airlines Flight 11, Boeing 767 with 92 people on board, takes off from Boston's Logan International Airport for Los Angeles.
- 8:14am AP2002 United Air Lines Flight 175, Boeing 767 with 65 people on board, takes off from Boston's Logan airport for Los Angeles.
- 8:21am AP2002 American Airlines Flight 77, Boeing 757 with 64 people on board, takes off from Washington Dulles International Airport for Los Angeles.
- 8:40am AP2002 Federal Aviation Administration notifies North American Aerospace Defense Command's Northeast Air Defense Sector about suspected hijacking of American Flight 11.
- 8:41am AP2002 United Air Lines Flight 93, Boeing 757 with 44 people on board, takes off from Newark International Airport for San Francisco.
- 8:43am AP2002 FAA notifies NORAD's Northeast Air Defense Sector about suspected hijacking of United Flight 175.
- 8:45am Ottawa 'An aircraft believed to be a small "Cessna-type" aircraft crashed into the north side tower of the World Trade Centre, setting off a huge explosion and fire. One witness reported that the aircraft made a 'kamikaze" move as it crashed into the building.'
- 8:45am WTD 'A large plane, possibly a hijacked airliner, crashes into one of the World Trade Center towers, tearing a gaping hole in the building and setting it afire.'
- 8:46 a.m. AP2002 American Flight 11 crashes into north tower of World Trade Center.
- 8:48am - Plane crashes into World Trade Centre
- 8:49 BC&C CNN: 'Obviously, a very disturbing live shot of the WTC, and we have unconfirmed reports that a plane has crashed into one of the towers.'
- 8:52 BC&C WTTG: 'We'll go to a live picture from New York City. A plane has crashed into the WTC. We don't know whether this was an accident or some sort of planned incident.'
- 8:52am ABCNEWS' Good Morning America broke in with a special report showing flames coming out of the World Trade Center. "You can see quite a lot of damage," ABCNEWS' Don Dahler said minutes later from near the scene. "If it was an airplane, it had to be huge."
- 8:53 New York Plane crashes into World Trade Center, according to television reports.
- 8:55am - Explosion at World Trade Centre
- 8:56 New York Smoke poured out of a gaping hole in the upper floors of the World Trade Center on Tuesday and there were broadcast reports a plane had struck it.
- 9:01 BC&C WABC (eyewitness via phone): 'It looked like a normal plane going over the city, and then, all of a sudden, a turn to the left, and it slammed right into the WTC.'
- 9:01 New York An aircraft crashed into the upper floors of one of the World Trade Center towers Tuesday morning, and black smoke poured out of two gaping holes.
- 9:03am AP2002 United Flight 175 crashes into south tower of World Trade Center.
- 9:03am WTD A second plane, apparently a passenger jet, crashes into the second World Trade Center tower and explodes. Both buildings are burning.
- 9:03 BC&C CNN: 'We've got an explosion inside. This would support the probability that the fuselage was still in the building. That could cause a second explosion such as that. We're getting word that perhaps a second plane was involved, but let's not even speculate on that point, but perhaps that may have happened.'
- 9:03am Ottawa A second plane appearing to approach from the north side of the building crashed into the second tower, setting off a large explosion and fire. A witness reported that it was a commercial aircraft.
- 9:04 New York Explosion rocks second World Trade Center tower
- 9:05 New York An aircraft crashed into the upper floors of one of the World Trade Center towers Tuesday morning. Shortly afterward a second explosion rocked the other tower.
- 9:06 BC&C CNN: 'Eyewitness says a small plane-it looked like a propeller plane-came in from the west about 20-25 stories from the top and appeared to crash.'
- 9:07 BC&C WABC: 'I don't know if perhaps some type of navigation system or some type of electronics would have put two planes into the WTC within-it looks like-18 minutes of each other.'
- 9:08am - Second plane crashes into World Trade Centre
- 9:08 BC&C CNN (airing feed from WNYW[TV] New York): 'Some people said they thought they saw a missile, so we might keep open the possibility that this was a missile attack.'
- 9:08 a.m. AP2002 FAA bans all takeoffs nationwide for flights going to or through New York Center airspace.
- 9:09 New York Plane crashes into second World Trade Center tower
- 9:10 BC&C CNN (Ira Furman, former National Transportation Safety Board spokesman, on phone): 'Absolutely inexplicable. There shouldn't be any aircraft in that area. It's just not possible for a pilot during the daytime to have taken a course that would put it right into the WTC. A second occurrence within a few minutes is beyond belief.'
- 9:11 New York An aircraft crashed into the upper floors of one of the WTC towers Tuesday morning. Shortly afterward a second plane hit the other tower.
- 9:12 Washington FBI investigating reports of plane hijacking before World Trade Center crashes
- 9:12 BC&C WCBS: 'Thousands of pieces of what appeared to be office paper came drifting over Brooklyn, about three miles from Tower 1, according to a witness.'
- 9:14am - Plane crashes may have been on purpose
- 9:14 BC&C WTOP: 'Clearly, this has been a morning of extremes for us here. This is the most serious of circumstances that we're monitoring in New York. Earlier today, it was euphoria in this town as we all celebrated what appears to be word from Michael Jordan that he is going to be returning to the National Basketball Association and playing his next season with the Wizards. Obviously, our coverage of that will continue at its appropriate time.'
- 9:15 Washington The FBI is investigating reports that two plane crashes at the WTC are the result of foul play, The AP has learned.
- 9:15 BC&C AP: 'The FBI is investigating reports that the two crashes are the result of foul play.'
- 9:15 BC&C CNN: 'President Bush is informed in Florida and cancels the rest of his schedule.'
- 9:17 BC&C WABC: 'LaGuardia and Kennedy airports are now closed.'
- 9:17am WTD The FAA shuts down all New York City area airports.
- 9:17am CBS's Dave Slatter: "Ah oh, they’re evacuating us right now, they believe another plane—this could be a rumor—evacuating everybody, possibility of another plane coming in this direction, this is a major evacuation, again it could all be a rumor but the FBI is evacuating everybody out of this area. I’ve got to go because, you know what, they won’t let me stay here."
- 9:18 New York Planes crashed into the upper floors of both WTC towers minutes apart Tuesday in a horrific scene of explosions and fire that left gaping holes in the 110 story buildings.
- 9:18 BC&C WCBS: 'The UN has been evacuated as a precautionary measure.'
- 9:21am WTD New York City Port Authority orders all bridges and tunnels in the New York City area closed
- 9:21 a.m. AP2002 All bridges and tunnels into Manhattan closed.
- 9:24 a.m. AP2002 FAA notifies NORAD's Northeast Air Defense Sector about suspected hijacking of American Flight 77.
- 9:26 BC&C WABC: 'Many people see those twin towers as an example of American capitalism and as an example of American might and power. They are a very strong and very vulnerable symbol to the rest of the world-and the U.S.-and that may be why they were targeted this time. Osama bin Laden is the former Afghan freedom fighter-a billionaire by all accounts-who is maybe No. 1 on America's list of terrorism exporters. He springs immediately to mind.'
- 9:26 a.m. AP2002 FAA bans takeoffs of all civilian aircraft.
- 9:27am - Fears plane crashes were acts of terrorism
- 9:28am Ottawa CNN quotes AP as saying a U. S. official believes the attacks are believed to have been carried out by terrorists.
- 9:29am - Bush: Disaster is 'an apparent terrorist attack'
- 9:30am Ottawa U.S. President Bush in Florida, appears on television and makes the first official confirmation the two attacks were carried out by terrorists. Two aircrafts crashed into the World Trade Centre, he said, in an "apparent terrorist attack." He said the U.S. will hunt down those responsible. CNN reports the New York Stock Exchange is closed.
- 9:30 BC&C CNN (President Bush makes a statement in Florida): 'Today, we've had a national tragedy. Two planes have crashed into the WTC in an apparent terrorist attack on our country. Terror against our nation will not stand.'
- 9:30am WTD Bush, speaking in Florida, says the country has suffered an "apparent terrorist attack."
- 9:31 BC&C CNN (on-screen graphic): Sources Tell CNN One Plane Was an American 767 From Boston.
- 9:31 a.m. AP2002 In Sarasota, Fla., President Bush calls crashes an "apparent terrorist attack on our country."
- 9:31 Sarasota, FL Bush calls World Trade Center crashes apparent terrorist attack
- 9:32 BC&C WNBC (eyewitness via phone): 'The second plane was a larger plane because the explosion from the second plane was tenfold larger than from the first plane. May God be with all those people because this is going to be a tough day for all of New York.'
- 9:32am Ottawa Reports that an American Airline Boeing 767 that took off from Boston had been hijacked. The plane is believed to have been involved in the second attack on the WTC.
- 9:33 BC&C WABC (phone call from man in the WTC): 'I'm stuck on the 86th floor of Tower No. 1 on the east side. I heard a noise, felt the whole building shake, and the glass on my floor was blown from the inside out, and the interior core of part of the building collapsed.'
- 9:34 Washington President Bush said Tuesday that two plane crashes into the WTC were "an apparent terrorist attack on our country."
- 9:34 BC&C WCBS: 'A no-fly zone has been established over Manhattan.'
- 9:35am Ottawa All New York-area airports are closed. Reports of the situation being "extraordinarily chaotic" on the west side of New York City.
- 9:36am - Bush to meet with security chiefs
- 9:36 BC&C CNN (on-screen graphic): ALL NY AREA AIRPORTS CLOSED. 'Information we now have is that there are at least 1,000 injuries.'
- 9:36 BC&C WNBC: 'To New Yorkers, try to get out of that area to let the emergency crews do what they need to do, because there clearly are still people trapped up there and fire fighters and emergency crews still need to do a lot of work.'
- 9:37am Ottawa CNN reports that 1,000 people had been injured.
- 9:38am NBC's Jim Miklaszewski has some new info. "I don't want to alarm anybody, but apparently, I felt, a few moments ago that there was an explosion of some kind here at the Pentagon.
- 9:38am ACCAA A large smoke plume appeared beyond the Roslyn skyline.
- 9:40 Washington First plane to hit World Trade Center was hijacked after takeoff from Boston, U.S. official says
- 9:40am WTD The FAA halts all flight operations at U.S. airports, the first time in U.S. history that air traffic nationwide has been halted.
- 9:40 a.m. (approx.) AP2002 American Flight 77 crashes into Pentagon.
- 9:40am First Word. CNN chyron changes to “Reports of Fire at Pentagon.”
- 9:41am NBC's Jim Miklaszewski "it appears that a bomb was detonated at the heliport."
- 9:41am - Pentagon evacuated due to fire
- 9:41am Ottawa Senator Kennedy appears on television with First Lady Laura Bush to say that the "business of America" will not be postponed because of terrorism. A scheduled meeting on education will go on, he said.
- 9:42 Washington One of two planes that crashed into the WTC was hijacked after takeoff from Boston, a U.S. official said, citing a transmission from the plane.
- 9:42am Ottawa Reports of an attack on Pentagon. Huge plume of smoke billowing out of the vast complex. Reports of a huge explosion. Pentagon being evacuated.
- 9:42am ABC's Carol Costello: "That’s right, I’m Carol Costello, Don Hudson, we want to go live to Sam Ford right now, he is live at Reagan National Airport with an update on the air crash at the Pentagon, Sam Ford tell us what you can." ABC's Carol Costello: "Sam [Ford], a question for you: we understand that there is a tail section of a plane sticking out of the Pentagon and a plane did hit the Pentagon. Is that true?"
- 9:43am WTD An aircraft crashes into the Pentagon, sending up a huge plume of smoke. Evacuation begins immediately.
- 9:43am Ottawa White House evacuated because of credible threat of terrorist attack. Security officers patrol the precinct.
- 9:43am Ottawa White House being evacuated after receiving a "credible terrorist threat." President Bush safe in Florida.
- 9:43 BC&C AP: 'An aircraft has crashed into the Pentagon, witnesses say. The West Wing of the White House is being evacuated amid terrorist threats.'
- 9:43 BC&C WTOP: 'We're going to interrupt the [CBS Radio News] coverage and bring it closer to home. We have some indication of fire and smoke at the Pentagon right now. We've gotten calls from people who live and work around the Pentagon who have told us that they have seen something that they have described as an explosion.'
- 9:43 BC&C WTTG: 'There are reports of a fire at the Pentagon. You can see the thick, black smoke. This is no trash fire, folks, so obviously something has happened.' [To producer]: 'Do we have any indication that a plane was involved here?
- 9:43 BC&C CNN: 'There's a huge plume of smoke from the west side near the helicopter landing zone. The plume of smoke is enormous; it's a couple hundred yards across.'
- 9:43:07 Washington An aircraft has crashed into the Pentagon, witnesses say
- 9:43:59 Washington West Wing of White House evacuated amid terrorist threats
- 9:43am Chris Plante CNN Pentagon producer announces on-air that he was held at gun point by Defense Protective Service Police
- 9:43am CNN anchor Aaron Brown announces the Associated Press report that the White House has been evacuated.
- 9:44am NBC's Katie Coric "we are hearing that it was a plane of some kind."
- 9:44 Washington An aircraft crashed near the Pentagon and the West Wing of the White House was evacuated amid threats of terrorism.
- 9.45am Ottawa Fire reported on the Washington Mall.
- 9:45 BC&C CNN: 'We're also getting reports that there's a fire on the Mall in Washington.'
- 9:45am WTD The White House evacuates.
- 9:45am AP2002 FAA orders all aircraft to land at nearest airport as soon as practical. More than 4,500 aircraft in air at the time.
- 9:46 BC&C WTOP: 'We're hearing from a caller who says she is eyewitness to another hit here in town; the USA Today building may also be on fire in addition to the Pentagon.'
- 9:46am Ottawa CNN reports from National Airport in Washington of hearing a noise at the Pentagon before a "terrific fire" broke out.
- 9:47am CNN Aaron Brown announces that the AP reports a plane has hit the Pentagon
- 9:47 Washington White House threatened with terrorist attack, source says
- 9:47am - Reports of helicopter crashing into Pentagon
- 9:47am Ottawa First report on CNN that an aircraft had crashed into the Pentagon.
- 9:48am Ottawa A witness tells CNN that a U. S. military helicopter had circled the Pentagon building, disappeared behind a building and shortly after there was a big explosion.
- 9:48 BC&C WTTG (terrorism expert from American University): 'It is a well-planned, concerted attack on the U.S. as the world's superpower, particularly, I would assume, because of the role it plays in the Middle East, in its hostility toward Iraq, Iran and other Arab countries, and its support, obviously, of Israel.'
- 9:48am NBC's Tom Brokaw: "There's a report on Dubai television DFLP claim of responsibility."
- 9:48am AP2002 U.S. Capitol and White House's West Wing evacuated.
- 9:49 Washington The Federal Aviation Administration has shut down all aircraft takeoffs nationwide
- 9:49 BC&C AP: 'The Federal Aviation Administration has shut down all aircraft takeoffs nationwide.'
- 9:49am Chris Plante CNN reports that contrary to the AP report, a helicopter circled the Pentagon, and that afterward a large fireball go up into the sky.
- 9:50 BC&C CNN: 'Bridges and tunnels into New York are closed.'
- 9:50am Ottawa Bridges and tunnels into New York City closed.
- 9:50 [Washington] The White House was evacuated after the Secret Service received credible threat of a terrorist act against the presidential mansion and residence.
- 9:51am Ottawa All airports across the United States closed.
- 9:51 BC&C WTTG: 'Metro is shutting down its trains, possibly concerned that Metro might somehow be used in this.'
- 9:52am - Terrorist threats made against the White House
- 9:53am Ottawa Confirmation on CNN that an aircraft of some kind hit the Pentagon.
- 9:53 Washington Aircraft crashed near Pentagon. White House evacuated after bomb threats. FAA shuts down all air traffic.
- 9:54am Ottawa Reports of people running out of the White House. Reports of a jet circling the White House but it disappeared. It is unclear if the the Vice President Dick Cheney is still in the building.
- 9:54 BC&C WCBS: 'A number of people were apparently jumping from windows. We saw at least five or six. The people who were standing there were absolutely horrified to watch this. Many people started screaming, many people started crying. There were people hugging each other, and, every time they saw a person jump to his death, there were people who were just grabbing hold of each other and sobbing and wiping their tears.'
- 9:55am NBC's Bob Kerr at the White House. "We understand that building has now been evacuated?" "As soon as word came of the "Pentagon incident" we were rather forcibly removed from the White House."
- 9:55am (about) ACCAA 'Captain Gibbs, commanding the River Division, was directing the search and rescue efforts of ACFD and Fort Myer firefighters when he observed what appeared to be a slight structural movement at the initial impact area. He ordered everyone out of the building. Within minutes, the upper floors collapsed onto those below.'
- 9:56 BC&C CNN (on-screen graphic): 'Capitol, Treasury, White House Evacuated.' 'This has all the appearances of an extremely well coordinated and devastating terrorist attack.'
- 9:56 BC&C WNBC (terrorism expert): 'This has all the worst-case scenarios put together into one. When you think of the psychological trauma that this is going to cause New Yorkers and to Americans, it's monumental, it's off the map.'
- 9:56am NBC's Bob Kerr: "And in the most surreal of this morning's scenes here at the White House, a white plane, a very big jet, was flying an unusual pattern, ah, near the White House over Lafayette Park, very slowly it made one circle and then ah, we have not seen it since. ah, there was a lot of concern about what that plane might be, but again, it's only speculation, but most people say that since flights have been cleared from US airspace and it was a totally white plane, it looked unusual to all of us, that it was a government plane of some kind."
- 9:57am NBC's Katie Coric: "A senior official from the radical Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine denied on Tuesday the group had any connection to the plane crash. An anonymous caller had told television that it was behind the crash quote, I emphasize the story released on television by an anonymous person is totally incorrect, said Tacer Kolet (ph), a senior official from the DFLP politburo in the Palestinian territories, told Reuters. The DFLP is against hijacking planes and against endangering civilians who are not connected with the struggle of this region, he said."
- 9:57am Ottawa White House, Pentagon, Treasury and Capitol being evacuated.
- 9:57am WTD Bush departs from Florida.
- 9:58am Ottawa Several witnesses report a huge explosion at the Pentagon just before fire enveloped the complex.
- 9:58am ACCAA The first evacuation, only 20 minutes after the crash, was a building evacuation, when Captain Gibbs and Battalion Chief Tim Lasher of the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport Fire Department warned of an imminent structural collapse. Annex A After-Action Report Page A-30
- 9:59 a.m. AP2002 South tower of World Trade Center collapses.
- 9:59am - Third explosion at World Trade Centre
- 9:59am Ottawa Reports of confusion at the Pentagon. Thick black smoke enveloping the area. CNN says 24,000 people work at the Pentagon.
- 9:59am Ottawa Reports of another huge explosion, the third at the WTC. A "cascade of fire and sparks" as one of the towers collapses and disappears from the skyline.
- 9:59 BC&C WTOP: 'After the WTC was hit, the Pentagon's anti-terrorism unit went into action. The first thing it did was dispatch military aircraft to what is now a no-fly zone over Manhattan. These fighter aircraft, armed with guns and missiles, have direct orders to divert and, in a worst-case scenario, to shoot down any plane that seems bent on crashing into something else.'
- 10:00am (before) ACCAA The FBI Evidence Recovery Team began arriving and set up in a grassy area a short distance from the heliport. Because of the extremely congested traffic conditions, it took several hours for the entire FBI contingent to negotiate the route from the District of Columbia to the Pentagon.
- 10:00 New York Explosion hits another building near World Trade Center
- 10:00am Ottawa Reports of fire at the State Department.
- 10:00 BC&C AP: 'An explosion hits another building near the WTC.'
- 10:01 BC&C WABC: 'The attack on the WTC in February of 1993 was designed to bring down the towers. It appears that, this time, one of the towers is down.'
- 10:01 BC&C WCBS: 'Generally speaking, for a building to collapse in on itself like that, it would seem to indicate-obviously, this is just early speculation-that there could have been an explosion, a bomb planted on the ground, that would make the building collapse in on itself.'
- 10:02am NBC Jamie: "I've spoken again with US officials with access to the highest intelligence and they are now confirming that it does appear that at the Pentagon it was a plane. Again, they are saying now they believe a third plane was involved at the Pentagon."
- 10:02 BC&C WTTG: 'The 14th Street and Memorial bridges are shut down.'
- 10:02am - Part of second tower collapses
- 10:02am Ottawa Sears Tower in Chicago evacuated. No report of attack.
- 10:02am NBC's Jamie Gangel: "I've spoken again with US officials with access to the highest intelligence and they are now confirming that it does appear that at the Pentagon it was a plane. Again, they are saying now they believe a third plane was involved at the Pentagon."
- 10:03am NBC's Andrea Mitchell: "But this very interesting information, Katie, Matt and Tom, from the FBI: They have been operating a massive exercise from their hostage rescue unit, all of their top teams, about 50 personnel, helicopters, equipment, were in Monterrey California for the last two days, scheduled to fly back today commercially. So all those people are out of place, it's fair to say, according to sources we've talked to here at NBC, that the FBI rescue operation and other operations are really in chaos right now because they can't reach their officials in New York. All of their phone lines are down and now you've got all their special experts on this stuck in Monterrey California, trying to get a military flight back because there are no longer commercial flights, so they are seriously out of pocket and there is a real breakdown of the FBI anti-terror coordination team, which is of course the principal team that would lead any effort and was so effective under Jim Kallstrom in New York City during the World Trade Center bombing, and the TWA explosion , which of course, turned out to be, not to be terror."
- 10:05am - Conflicting reports over those responsible for crashes
- 10:05am Ottawa Reports of people jumping from windows of the WTC.
- 10:05am WTD The south tower of the World Trade Center collapses, plummeting into the streets below. A massive cloud of dust and debris forms and slowly drifts away from the building.
- 10:05am NBC's Tom Brokaw: "We want to tell you that American Airlines has confirmed that one of its flights, American Airlines Flight 11, from Boston's Logan Airport, scheduled to go to LAX, that left at 8am this morning, 45 minutes later it was diverted in the World Trade Center, it was the airline that was involved, and we can only assume on a popular flight like that it probably had a capacity load of passengers and crew onboard."
- 10:06 BC&C CNN (on-screen graphic): WITNESSES SEE PEOPLE JUMPING FROM WTC TOWER. 'Some of the Secret Service patrolling the perimeter of Lafayette Park directly across the street from the White House have automatic rifles drawn.'
- 10:07 New York One World Trade Center tower collapses
- 10:07am (approx.) AP2002 United Flight 93 crashes in Pennsylvania field.
- 10:07am Ottawa Secret Service agents at the White House appear with automatic weapons drawn. Still no word on the whereabouts of the VP Cheney. Calls into the White House not answered.
- 10:08am WTD Secret Service agents armed with automatic rifles are deployed into Lafayette Park across from the White House.
- 10:09 BC&C WTOP (reporter near the White House): 'Another explosion has just occurred. We don't know where it happened, but it sounded like a cannon going off, and now we're seeing big billows of black smoke in the direction of the Pentagon. It's sort of organized chaos. A lot of people have had the presence of mind to whip out the old video camera and take pictures of whatever is going on here.'
- 10:10am WTD A portion of the Pentagon collapses.
- 10:11 New York Two planes crashed into WTC. Bush says "apparent terrorist attack." Witness saw people falling and jumping from towers.
- 10:11am - Large airliner crashes into the Pentagon
- 10:12am Ottawa CNN reports explosion at Capitol Hill. Capitol evacuated.
- 10:12 BC&C CNN: 'There's a report of an explosion on Capitol Hill.' (Five minutes later, congressional correspondent says there was no explosion, but that 'the speaker and other leaders have been evacuated to a secure location.'
- 10:13am WTD The United Nations building evacuates, including 4,700 people from the headquarters building and 7,000 total from UNICEF and U.N. development programs.
- 10:14am Ottawa Evacuation extended to United Nations Building.
- 10:15 BC&C WNBC: 'St. Vincent's Hospital is preparing for the possibility of many more people arriving. They have what looks like a trauma center set up on the street, on the sidewalk of 7th Ave.'
- 10:15 a.m. ACAAR Chief Schwartz orders full evacuation because of warning of approaching hijacked aircraft. The FBI had warned him that a second hijacked airliner was
flying on a course toward the Pentagon and was 20 minutes away.
- 10:16 BC&C WTOP: 'We've just been told that all government offices are closed and people are advised to go home. They obviously want to get people out of the downtown area and away from federal buildings, which presumably are still targets.'
- 10:17 BC&C WTTG (U.S. Capitol Police spokesperson): 'Ten minutes ago, we ordered a mandatory evacuation of the Capitol and all the House and Senate office buildings. We are taking extraordinary precautions to protect the leadership of the Congress.'
- 10:17am NBC's Megan McGrath interviews Isabel James: "I saw a plane going down, big plane, commercial liner type, going down, full speed and just inside the side of the Pentagon."
- 10:19 Washington State Department evacuated due to a possible explosion.
- 10:19 BC&C AP: 'The State Department is evacuated due to a possible explosion.'
- 10:21 BC&C WABC: 'People [near City Hall] were running out of the smoke. The street now is just littered with shoes as people literally ran out of their shoes to escape the smoke and debris. There are pieces of the plane on Church St. . what look to be large pieces of the fuselage and this, amazingly, was about three blocks away from the scene.'
- 10:21am NBC's Barbara "Also, according to the Associated Press this morning, there is a report that General Richard Meyers the Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said that prior to the crash into the Pentagon, military officials had been notified that another hijacked plane was heading from the New York area to Washington. He said, he assumed, the hijacked plane from New York to Washington was the one that hit the Pentagon."
- 10:22 BC&C WCBS: 'Doctors . expect thousands of people to be affected by smoke inhalation in and around the WTC because of that building falling in.'
- 10:22 BC&C WTOP: 'A plane went overhead . some sort of jet, maybe it was a military plane. But everywhere you looked, people were looking up into the sky with concern and fear on their faces that this might be another incoming terrorist attack. Just mind-boggling.'
- 10:22am Ottawa Justice Department evacuated.
- 10:22am WTD In Washington, the State and Justice departments are evacuated,
along with the World Bank.
- 10:23 BC&C AP: 'A car bomb explodes outside the State Department, senior law-enforcement officials say.'
- 10:23 Washington Car bomb explodes outside State Department, senior law enforcement officials say [Note: Officials’ version later proved unfounded]
- 10:24am WTD The FAA reports that all inbound transatlantic aircraft flying into the United States are being diverted to Canada.
- 10:24am NBC's Barbara: (Interrupting Cheryl Johnson) "Excuse me Cheryl, we are just getting a report from the Associated Press that a car bomb has exploded outside of the State Department. We are just hearing this from the Associated Press---a car bomb exploding outside the State Department here in Washington."
- 10:24am Ottawa CNN says there was no explosion at Capitol Hill.
- 10:24am CBS's Mike Buchanan: "Hold on one second, the State Department has been evacuated after a possible explosion or a fire, a senior governmental official speaking under a condition of anonymity said, the incident appears connected with the two plane attacks at the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, according to this source, quoting now, 'something happened at the state department, we don’t know what yet, we hear it might have been a plane.'”
- 10:25am Ottawa Reports that all international flights to New York and Washington being diverted to Canada.
- 10:25am CBS's Mike Buchanan: "Hold on…Hey Dave? (Yes.) We just got a bulletin from the Associated Press “A car bomb explodes outside of the State Department.” Being attributed to senior law enforcement officials, again, a car bomb."
- 10:26 BC&C WTTG: 'We're told there is another aircraft that has been hijacked and is 20 minutes outside Washington, D.C.'
- 10:26 BC&C WNBC: 'Looking up at the top of the building, at a rate of about one every five minutes, you see people that are jumping from the top of the building. It is an absolutely harrowing scene.'
- 10:28am NBC Barbara: 'Senior law enforcement officials say a car bomb has exploded outside of the State Department, that from the AP, we're just getting '
- 10:28am NBC Joe: 'Pentagon officials are evacuating everyone from the area there according to the Associated Press because they fear another plane could be on route to the Pentagon'
- 10:28 BC&C CNN: 'Good Lord. There are no words. This is just a horrific scene and a horrific moment.'
- 10:28 a.m. AP2002 North tower of World Trade Center collapses.
10:28 BC&C WCBS: 'You're looking at what there is of the Manhattan skyline. The two most prominent landmarks-the WTC-now reduced to a pile of ash and rubble, smoke billowing above the city.'
10:28am WTD The World Trade Center's north tower collapses from the top down as if it were being peeled apart, releasing a tremendous cloud of debris and smoke
- 10:29 BC&C WNBC: 'They're gone. The WTC is no more.'
10:29 BC&C CNN: 'There were several people that were hanging out of windows right below where the plane crashed when suddenly you saw the top of the building start to shake and people began leaping from the windows.'
- 10:29 New York Second World Trade Center tower collapses
- 10:30am Ottawa Confirmation that both WTC towers have collapsed. 50,000 people work at the WTC.
- 10:30 New York In a horrific sequence of events, terrorists crashed planes into the WTC, and explosions rocked the Pentagon and the State Department, spreading fear through the country.
- 10:30am - Second tower collapses
- 10:31am NBC's Tom Brokaw: "There is an unconfirmed report of a car bomb at the State Department. We have not been able to pin that down, there is another, Jim was told, there is an unconfirmed report of another air hijacking. At the Pentagon, all people were told to take cover just minutes ago, but Jim said the skies were clear."
- 10:32am - Both towers down after plane crashes
10:33am Ottawa Reports of a car bomb at the State Department.
- 10:34 BC&C WABC: 'If you are a child watching and you do not have a parent there, I don't know what to advise you, if you can understand this. This is just so tragic that it's ridiculous to try to talk through this.'
- 10:35am - Car bomb explodes at State Department
- 10:37 Pittsburgh Large plane crashes in western Pennsylvania, officials at Somerset County airport confirm
10:37 BC&C AP: 'A large plane crashes in western Pennsylvania, officials at Somerset County airport confirm.'
- 10:37am Ottawa Reports of a 747 down near Pittsburgh. Downed plane later said to be a 757.
- 10:38am - 747 down in Pennsylvania
- 10:38 a.m. ACAAR Chief Schwartz sounds the all-clear, ending the 23-minute evacuation.
- 10:39 New York Fourth explosion at World Trade Center
- 10:39am - Pentagon collapses
- 10:42am - Car bomb explodes in Washington
10:43 BC&C CNN: 'All federal office buildings in Washington are being evacuated.'
10:43 BC&C WTTG: 'There are now fighter jets in the air as the situation continues to unfold here at the Pentagon. There are unconfirmed reports that they are concerned about Camp David as well.'
- 10:44am - Hijacked plane heading for Washington
- 10:45am WTD All federal office buildings in Washington are evacuated.
- 10:45am - Speculation Osama Bin-Laden responsible for attack
- 10.46am WTD U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell cuts short his trip to Latin America to return to the United States.
- 10:46 Pittsburgh A large plane, believed to be a 767, crashed north of Somerset County Airport, near Pittsburgh.
10:47am Ottawa Second hijacked plane said to be heading for Pentagon. An F 16 jet scrambled to deal with situation.
10:48 BC&C CNN: 'Military officials anticipate a second aircraft arriving at the Pentagon.' (At 11:04, it reports, 'No second plane ever materialized.')
10.48am WTD Police confirm the crash of a large plane in Somerset County, Pennsylvania.
- 10:49 BC&C WTTG: 'All museums and public attraction in the District of Columbia have been shut down.'
- 10:50am - Hijacked plane had 168 passengers
10:51 BC&C WTOP: 'A senior law-enforcement official gave information that is now being contradicted. We are now being told that the Federal Protective Services says there was no car bomb at the State Department.'
10:52 BC&C WCBS: 'We're hearing from intelligence sources that there were actually eight planes hijacked and that five are still in the air. The Air Force and military intelligence are scrambling to try to take these planes out of the air before they can do any damage.'
- 10:53am WTD New York's primary elections scheduled for today are postponed.
- 10:54am WTD Israel evacuates all diplomatic missions.
- 10:56am - UK and Israel evacuate prominent buildings
10:57am WTD New York Gov. George Pataki says all state government offices are closed.
- 10:58 BC&C WCBS: 'At Newark International Airport, there are officers with shotguns blocking the road leading to Port Authority offices and the air-traffic-control tower.'
10:59 BC&C WTOP (reporter): 'I just drove in, and people are not paying attention to things like stop signs and red lights today. You have to be very careful ... it's a very dangerous situation out there.' Reporter at Washington Monument: 'There's a big crowd of people around the pay phone. Nobody can get a cell signal out, nobody can get a cell phone call in.'
- 11:00am AP2002 New York mayor orders evacuation of lower Manhattan.
- 11:00 BC&C CNN: 'Mayor Giuliani urges people to remain calm and at home unless they're in lower Manhattan, in which case they should 'get out and walk slowly and carefully . directly north.''
- 11:02am WTD New York Mayor Rudy Guiliani urges citizens to stay at home and orders an evacuation of the area south of Canal Street.
- 11:03am - Car bombing outside of State Department
11:03 BC&C WTOP (traffic reporter): 'It's pandemonium everywhere on the highways right now.'
11:04 BC&C WNBC (NYU Downtown Hospital spokesperson): 'We've seen hundreds of people. Our entire cafeteria has been transformed into a triage area, and it is wall-to-wall people.'
- 11:05am - Second aircraft hits Pentagon
11:05am Ottawa New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani in press conference urges people to remain calm and remain at home or in their place of business, and urges all those who work or live south of Canal Street to walk directly north in an orderly fashion. National Guard on alert to relieve police officers. U.S. federal government to help with urban search and rescue team. "We need the streets open so we can get people in and out of the south part of Manhattan ... the only thing to do now is to remain calm ... and let's pray ..."
- 11:06 BC&C WTOP: 'There are hordes of people [walking] south across the 14th St. Bridge. Some of them said they weren't comfortable using the Metro system.'
- 11:07am - US closes germ warfare defense laboratory
- 11:09 BC&C WCBS: 'There are now reports from CBS News that a plane apparently has crashed at or near Camp David, the weekend White House, if you will.'
- 11:10am - Palestinian Leader condemns US terrorist attacks
11:10am Ottawa Reports of a second plane only a few minutes away from the Pentagon have not materialized.
- 11:11am - Thousands feared dead in US terror strikes
11:11 BC&C WTOP: 'We had a report that there was an explosion here at the Capitol. That report has been discounted by both police and staffers that I have spoken to. It is a stark and unusual scene.'
11:12 CNN: 'U.S. officials' working thesis is that this is overseas terrorism, not domestic, and they can't rule out additional attacks yet to come. Despite the denial, attention will quickly turn to the bin Laden group. There are very few others that could have pulled this off.'
- 11:12am Ottawa Ambulance arrive in New York from as far away as Long Island and firefighters arriving by pickup truck. The streets are deserted.
- 11:13 BC&C WCBS: 'Today is the anniversary of the Camp David peace accords, and there is speculation that perhaps, perhaps, this may be in retaliation for those accords.'
- 11:15 New York Mayor Giuliani says: "I have a sense it's a horrendous number of lives lost."
- 11:15am - Witnesses tell of horror at New York carnage
- 11:15am Ottawa Report that the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania in Somerset county near Pittsburgh was from Chicago.
- 11:15 BC&C AP: 'Mayor Giuliani says, 'I have a sense it's a horrendous number of lives lost.''
- 11:16 New York Terrorists crashed planes into the WTC. Explosions also rocked the Pentagon. Mayor Giuliani: "I have a sense it's a horrendous number of lives lost."
- 11:16am WTD CNN reports that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is preparing bioterrorism teams to respond to the incidents in a precautionary move. The preparation is not based on any known bioterrorism threat.
- 11:16am Ottawa Agence France Presse report says a group with the word Palestine in the name claims responsibility.
- 11:17am - Pentagon in state of collapse
- 11:17 New York Authorities had been trying to evacuate WTC. Expert: "I would name at the top of the list Osama Bin Laden." Aircraft crashed into Pentagon.
- 11:18am WTD American Airlines reports it has lost two aircraft. American Flight 11, a Boeing 767 flying from Boston to Los Angeles, had 81 passengers and 11 crew aboard. Flight 77, a Boeing 757 en route from Dulles Airport near Washington to Los Angeles, had 58 passengers and six crew members aboard. Flight 11 is believed to be one of the planes that crashed into the
World Trade Center.
- 11:19 New York In Pennsylvania, a large plane believed to be a 747 crashed. Nation’s air traffic halted. New York "like a war zone."
- 11:19 BC&C WCBS: 'We have reports of major loss of life at the Pentagon. That's a development that could cripple our ability to respond to this terrorist attack in a quick fashion.'
- 11:19am - Chicago buildings closed
11:20am Ottawa Taliban news conference announced
- 11:20am - Government issues helpline number
- 11:23 Fort Worth, TX American Airlines says it "lost" two aircraft carrying 156 people
- 11:23 Ottawa American Airlines confirms that it lost two airliners, both bound for Los Angeles -- one from Washington and the other from Boston. United Airlines confirms that one of its jets crashed in Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh, Flight 93 from Newark to San Francisco. However, it is uncertain if this is the same aircraft reported earlier as crashing near Pittsburgh. Report of another aircraft down near Camp David. No confirmation.
11:23 BC&C AP: 'American Airlines says it 'lost' two aircraft carrying 156 people.'
11:23 BC&C CNN: 'The Centers for Disease Control is preparing bioterrorism teams to respond to the incidents. This, we are told, is simply precautionary.'
11:24 BC&C WCBS: 'CBS reports that, just three weeks ago, Osama bin Laden, the most wanted terrorist in the world, had promised an unprecedented attack on U.S. interests because of this country's support of the nation of Israel.'
- 11:24am - Aircraft can carry up to 300
11:25am Ottawa Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta is preparing bioterrorism teams. It's a precautionary, say officials and there is no evidence of bio-terrorism, they say.
- 11:26am WTD United Airlines reports that United Flight 93, en route from Newark, New Jersey, to San Francisco, has crashed in Pennsylvania, southeast of Pittsburgh. The airline also says that it is "deeply concerned" about United Flight 175.
- 11:27 BC&C WNBC: 'The United States Navy is dispatching a couple of aircraft carriers from Norfolk, the JFK and the General Washington. One will be stationed off of New York, and the other will be stationed in the Atlantic as close to Washington as it can get. They will be there to provide any possible military support that may be needed.'
- 11:28am - Pittsburgh plane may have been shot down
- 11:30am - Airlines across the world cancel flights
11:30am Ottawa General Wesley Clark, former supreme commander of NATO says, "This is clearly a co-ordinated effort. It hasn't been announced that its over. We don't know how it will conclude. There is likely to be more trouble before this concludes. We've got to protect the American people. We're hearing still reports of aircraft that are out there. There is no way of knowing when all of the possible incidents have taken place or been aborted by whoever is behind this. We have to be ready for whatever will happen next. Only one group has this kind of ability and that is Osama bin Laden's."
- 11:31 BC&C WNBC (Gen. Norman Schwartzkopf on NBC): 'It's a very, very sad day for this country. It's really a sad day for the world as far as I'm concerned. Deterrence against terrorists is almost impossible because there are people who could care less about their own survival. The fact is that the world is getting smaller and terrorism has come to our shores.'
- 11:33am - Second attack plane took off at Newark
- 11:33 Pittsburgh United Airlines confirms flight from Newark, NJ, to San Francisco crashed near Pittsburgh
- 11:33 BC&C WTOP: 'September 11, 2001: a day that has turned into a nightmare.'
- 11:35am - Pennsylvania plane was headed for Camp David
- 11:41 Pittsburgh, San Francisco witness account of Pennsylvania crash
- 11:43am - Islamic Jihad may be responsible
11:45am Ottawa All scheduled international flights are canceled out of Pearson International Airport. Travelers are asked not to fly or go to the airport.
11:50am Ottawa Boston's Logan Airport urges people not to come to the airport. Flights have now been diverted to Canada. Two planes that hit World Trade Centre both took off from Boston, says a report. One is American Airlines, flight 11 with 92 people aboard. Another is United Airlines flight 175.
- 11:52 Washington Federal Reserve reports it is prepared to provide additional money to nation's banking system as needed following terrorist attacks
- 11:52am - United Airlines confirms plane lost
- 11:55 am - Palestinians celebrate in the streets
- 11:59am WTD United Airlines confirms that Flight 175, from Boston to Los Angeles, has crashed with 56 passengers and nine crew members aboard. Emergency personnel at the scene say there are no survivors.
- 11:59am - United Airlines concerned about fourth plane
- 12:00pm Ottawa No flights have landed yet at Pearson Airport. There is a report that an aircraft under some kind of distress is on its way to Toronto. There is no confirmation.
- 12:02pm - US closes border with Mexico
- 12:03 Chicago United Airlines confirms second plane crashing, location not given
12:04 p.m.: WTD Los Angeles International Airport, the destination of two of the hijacked American Airlines flights, is evacuated.
- 12:05pm Ottawa NBC reports there may be as many as 20,000 people in the World Trade Centre.
- 12:15pm WTD San Francisco International Airport is evacuated and shut down. The airport was the destination of American Airlines Flight 77, which was one of the aircraft to strike the World Trade Center.
- 12:15pm WTD The Immigration and Naturalization Service says U.S. borders with Canada and Mexico are on the highest state of alert, but no decision has been made about closing borders.
- 12:23 New York High-ranking city police official says the number of people killed or injured could be in the thousands
- 12:27pm - Appeal for calm as phone lines jam
- 12:30pm WTD The FAA says 50 flights are in U.S. airspace, but none are reporting any problems.
- 12:35pm - Taliban ambassador sympathizes
- 12:45pm - 50 aircraft still in American skies
- 12:49pm - Bin Laden warned three weeks ago of attacks
- 12:53 Barksdale AFB Bush says military on high-alert status
- 1:04pm WTD President Bush, speaking from an undisclosed location, says that all appropriate security measures are being taken, including putting the U.S. military on high alert worldwide. He asks for prayers for those killed or wounded in the attacks and says: "Make no mistake, the United States will hunt down and punish those responsible for these cowardly acts."
- 1:04 p.m. AP2002 From Barksdale Air Force base in Louisiana, Bush announces U.S. military on high-alert worldwide.
- 1:07pm - Bush resolves to 'hunt down' terrorists
- 1:23pm - Shares plummet after US attacks
- 1:27pm - Third building on verge of collapse
- 1:33pm - Markets lose £67bn in one day
- 1:35pm - Pentagon security to be improved
- 1:40pm - Fighter jets patrolling skies after Pentagon attack
- 1:42pm - Location of second United Airlines plane unknown
- 1:46pm - Taliban rulers condemn attacks on US
- 1:49pm - New Yorkers speak of horror and loss
- 2:00pm (about) 'The second of four full evacuations. The Arlington County ECC was notified by the control tower at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport of “inbound unidentified aircraft.” The ECC properly notified the Incident Command of each and Chief Schwartz ordered evacuations. It was later determined the incoming aircraft were “friendly.” One carried Attorney General John Ashcroft and the other, FEMA Director Joseph Allbaugh. Operating only on the information that “an unidentified aircraft is 10 minutes out and heading this direction,” the Incident Commander had no option but to order full evacuations.'
- 2:27pm - America reeling in horror and shock
- 2:28pm - All planes now landed
- 2:37pm - Trade Centre Victims Stream to Hospitals
- 2:41pm - World Trade Disaster: Chronology of terror
- 2:44pm - Blood Centre issues plea for donations
- 2:51pm AP2002 Navy dispatches missile destroyers to New York, Washington.
- 3:07pm AP2002 Bush arrives at U.S. Strategic Command at Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska.
- 3:12pm - Terrorists ‘flew the planes themselves’
- 3:15pm - Taliban protests bin Laden’s innocence
- 3:20pm - Japan backs US anti-terrorist drive
- 3:35pm The AP first reports Barbara Olsen killed on CBS9
- 3:57pm - Spectre of 'World War Three' raised
- 3:59pm - World Trade Centre building ablaze
- 4:12pm - US forces on alert around the world
- 4:31 Washington President Bush is returning to the White House, spokesman says
- 4:52pm - US on coast-to-coast alert
- 4:54 Washington United States suspects Osama bin Laden in terrorist attacks, two U.S. officials say
- 5:00pm - Muslims worry about backlash
- 5:05pm - Hijack passenger rang husband from plane
- 5:11pm - Sharon offers condolences
- 5:25pm AP2002 Empty 47-story Seven World Trade Center collapses.
- 5:29pm - World Trade Centre building number seven collapses
- 5:35pm - They will never kill democracy - Powell
- 5:41pm - Explosions rock Kabul
- 6:01pm - All flights grounded until noon Wednesday
- 6:26pm - Explosions in Kabul not US strike
- 6:36pm - Casualty figures available as soon as possible
- 6:54pm - Bush arrives back at White House
- 6:58pm - Northern Alliance responsible for Kabul attack
- 7:00pm AP2002 Bush arrives at White House.
- 8:30pm AP2002 Bush addresses nation and vows to "find those responsible and bring them to justice."
- 8:33 Washington Bush says "thousands of lives were suddenly ended" in terrorist attacks
- 10:27 New York Mayor says some people alive in Trade Center Wednesday,
8:45 a.m.: A large plane, possibly a hijacked airliner, crashes into one of
the World Trade Center towers, tearing a gaping hole in the building and
setting it afire.
9:03 a.m.: A second plane, apparently a passenger jet, crashes into the
second World Trade Center tower and explodes. Both buildings are burning.
9:17 a.m.: The FAA shuts down all New York City area airports.
9:21 a.m.: New York City Port Authority orders all bridges and tunnels in
the New York City area closed
9:30 a.m.: Bush, speaking in Florida, says the country has suffered an
"apparent terrorist attack."
9:40 a.m.: The FAA halts all flight operations at U.S. airports, the first
time in U.S. history that air traffic nationwide has been halted.
9:43 a.m.: An aircraft crashes into the Pentagon, sending up a huge plume of
smoke. Evacuation begins immediately.
9:45 a.m.: The White House evacuates.
9:57 a.m.: Bush departs from Florida.
10:05 a.m.: The south tower of the World Trade Center collapses, plummeting
into the streets below. A massive cloud of dust and debris forms and slowly
drifts away from the building.
10:08 a.m.: Secret Service agents armed with automatic rifles are deployed
into Lafayette Park across from the White House.
10:10 a.m.: A portion of the Pentagon collapses.
10:13 a.m.: The United Nations building evacuates, including 4,700 people
from the headquarters building and 7,000 total from UNICEF and U.N.
10:22 a.m.: In Washington, the State and Justice departments are evacuated,
along with the World Bank.
10:24 a.m.: The FAA reports that all inbound transatlantic aircraft flying
into the United States are being diverted to Canada.
10:28 a.m.: The World Trade Center's north tower collapses from the top down
as if it were being peeled apart, releasing a tremendous cloud of debris and
10:45 a.m.: All federal office buildings in Washington are evacuated.
10.46 a.m.: U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell cuts short his trip to
Latin America to return to the United States.
10.48 a.m.: Police confirm the crash of a large plane in Somerset County,
10:53 a.m.: New York's primary elections scheduled for today are postponed.
10:54 a.m.: Israel evacuates all diplomatic missions.
10:57 a.m.: New York Gov. George Pataki says all state government offices
11:02 a.m.: New York Mayor Rudy Guiliani urges citizens to stay at home and
orders an evacuation of the area south of Canal Street.
11:16 a.m.: CNN reports that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
is preparing bioterrorism teams to respond to the incidents in a
precautionary move. The preparation is not based on any known bioterrorism
11:18 a.m.: American Airlines reports it has lost two aircraft. American
Flight 11, a Boeing 767 flying from Boston to Los Angeles, had 81 passengers
and 11 crew aboard. Flight 77, a Boeing 757 en route from Dulles Airport
near Washington to Los Angeles, had 58 passengers and six crew members
aboard. Flight 11 is believed to be one of the planes that crashed into the
World Trade Center.
11:26 a.m.: United Airlines reports that United Flight 93, en route from
Newark, New Jersey, to San Francisco, has crashed in Pennsylvania, southeast
of Pittsburgh. The airline also says that it is "deeply concerned" about
United Flight 175.
11:59 a.m.: United Airlines confirms that Flight 175, from Boston to Los
Angeles, has crashed with 56 passengers and nine crew members aboard.
Emergency personnel at the scene say there are no survivors.
12:04 p.m.: Los Angeles International Airport, the destination of two of the
hijacked American Airlines flights, is evacuated.
12:15 p.m: San Francisco International Airport is evacuated and shut down.
The airport was the destination of American Airlines Flight 77, which was
one of the aircraft to strike the World Trade Center.
12:15 p.m.: The Immigration and Naturalization Service says U.S. borders
with Canada and Mexico are on the highest state of alert, but no decision
has been made about closing borders.
12:30 p.m.: The FAA says 50 flights are in U.S. airspace, but none are
reporting any problems.
1:04 p.m.: President Bush, speaking from an undisclosed location, says that
all appropriate security measures are being taken, including putting the
U.S. military on high alert worldwide. He asks for prayers for those killed
or wounded in the attacks and says: "Make no mistake, the United States will
hunt down and punish those responsible for these cowardly acts."